I’m using Microsoft Teams and other audio related appication in a virtual Windows 10 machine running within a vmWare Workstation player also on Windows 10. I’m pretty sure those informations in this article also applies to other vmWare platforms as ESXi as well. I experienced different Audio issues within the virtual Windows 10 machine if i connect a headset to my physical machine. Some of them: Audio delay, crackling, noises and latency. Finally and after many tests, i found a way to bring this constelation to a stable behaviour.
- First, install the vmWare audio drivers
- Second, make sure the virtual system and the host system use the same audio settings (2-channel, 16bit, 48khz (DVD-quality)
- Thrid, modify your VMX file and add some tweaks
vmWare Audio Drivers
- Download the VMware Tools for Windows, 64-bit in-guest installer 11.2.5
- Extract the Installer .exe file from the .zip package and extract the contents:
> VMware-tools-11.2.5-17337674-x86_64.exe /A /P C:\Extract
- Browse to the “device manager” in the guest operating system and update the drivers of your audio card.
Driver location: \Extract\VMware\VMware Tools\VMware\Drivers\audio\Vista
Fix audio settings
- Open “Control Panel” – “Sound” on the guest and the host machine.
- Make sure that you have set at “Speaker” – “Advanced” – “Default Format”: 16-bit, 48khz, DVD Quality
- Make sure the same setting is applied at “Microphone” – “Advanced” – “Default Format”: 16-bit, 48khz, DVD Quality
- Make sure the same setting has been applied on the host and the virtual Windows system
Modify VMX configuration file for virtual machine
- Add following configuration to your VMX file:
sound.enableAEC = “TRUE”
sound.virtualDev = “es1371”
pciSound.playBuffer = “40”
sound.maxLength = “2048”
sound.smallBlockSize = “1024”
sound.highPriority = “TRUE”
sound.bufferTime = “20”
Hint: Some people had to use sound.virtualDev = “hdaudio”. Try out what works best for you.
With those settings i did not experience any issues anymore and the audio works smooth through the virtual machine. Have fun.